Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Review: Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese


Genre: Fiction

Pages: 667
ISBN: 9780375714368
Format: Trade Paperback
Published: Jan. 2010
Rating: 4/5 Stars


It really took me a long time to read this book, well over a month! Maybe it was because of school, or work, or whatever but it took forever! Whatever the reasons are it is now finished. I read this book because of my work book club and I am glad I did. I may not have read it or I may have just at a later point.


There were things I loved and of course things I hated. I really like Marion, even when I felt a little disconnected with him I still felt closer to him than Shiva. I loved Shiva's turn around at the end and of course I hated Genet. There is so much to this story that I wish I could get into but spoilers are not really my thing. Overall this story is about different cutlers and culture shock. A nun has twins and dies at birth with the father up and running from the tragedies. the reader follows the "older" twin, Marion and goes through his life and what he has to endure. The author did a wonderful job incorporating true events into the story. It is brilliantly written.


The story really is about family and culture and there is so much medical terminology that can get a little boring at times but it deems necessary for parts of the story. There were times when I just wanted to skim over some pages for sake of sanity. It is well over 600 pages and some of it may or may not could have been let out. That is solely up to who the reader is. I do recommend this book but take your time in reading it because there is much to get through. It does hold attention but can have your emotions everywhere.

No comments: