Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Fourth Hand - John Irving

The one thing I can tell you for sure, is that Irving loves to write. This is my first Irving and I can feel how much he just loves to write. He is a natural. The best thing about reading this book was knowing that Irving has better books than this. I liked the book. I gave it 4/5 stars. I would like to have given it 3.5 stars but I upped it because I know Irving can be better.

This is about a journalist who loses his hand to a lion, live on public television. The story follows his love life and his attempt to get a hand transplant. I thought it was a bunch of different things to say the least. It was a love story, a comedy, nonfiction (so it seemed at times), and just simply a novel. Irving seems to be a very interesting character and has a very broad and creative imagination. He was meant to be a writer. I am glad that I own about 5 other books of his. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good and intelligent read.

No comments: