Monday, May 3, 2010

The Help - Kathryn Stockett

Genre: Fiction
Pages: 444
ISBN: 9780399155345
Rating: 4/5 Stars

This was a good read. It kept you reading throughout the entire story. I am sure everyone has said it or heard about The Help but I gotta admit I didn't love it, was just good. At first I got annoyed of having a white woman speak in a black voice but then I realized that men write in women's voices all the time (and of course that annoys all of us women) so then what is the difference right? No one can really, truly write in the opposite anything voice so I had to just give up on that and move along. I tell myself that it is a story and I should read it that way instead of really analyzing it. I gave it 4/5 stars because I didn't fall in love with it but I did enjoy it all the same. But for some odd reason I really don't understand all the hype about this book. I mean, I know it brave, and dangerous on both sides but still I just saw it as an average good read and pretty much nothing more than that. There are so many other books that have similar situations or worse and they don't get as much praise as this one. But yet I still give it 4/5!

I kinda liked the whole idea of putting her spin on it. It was kinda like reading the story of how this book came about within the actual pages of this book. I guess you would really understand what I mean unless you have already read it but I do like how she Incorporated her life in Jackson, Mississippi to a life of "someone else". I also liked her little story at the end just to tie things up. It really put a close on the book. I had so many thoughts throughout the book and I guess it is a good thing that this book is not only my personal book club online at Goodreads but it is also one of the monthly book reads for my work book club so there will be lots to chat about.

No comments: