Thursday, April 29, 2010

Noah's Compass - Anne Tyler


Genre: Fiction

Pages: 277

ISBN: 9780307272409

Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

There is a lot to this story that i wish I could mention here but I hate to write spoilers so I will have to make do with what I got which may it may not be as informative as I would have liked. First, I have to mention that I have never heard of Anne Tyler and then I find out that she has such an amazing life story and I think she should create a memoir. Her husband is from Iran and passed away in 1997, they had 2 beautiful daughters, Tyler didn't attend school until she was 11 and still she attended Duke and Columbia, she was a librarian and a bibliographer, and now she is a writer. She won the Pulitzer Prize in 1989 for her eleventh novel entitled Breathing Lessons. She has a total of 18 books at the moment and I plan on reading many of them.

Her writing style reminded me a little of Richard Russo's style. They both write lovely stories that keep you engaged and brings them to life. She tells a realistic story and speaks very beautiful and Noah's Compass is such a nice tale about a 61-year-old schoolteacher, Liam, who gets robbed and knocked on conscious and can't remember a thing about it and then this just spirals into events of dating, and bringing family together expectantly. He keeps trying to remember what had happened so much so that it brings him to meet someone intimately and it also brings him to interact more intimately with his family as well.

It was a very quick, engaging, and a overall comforting read and I gave it 3.5/4 stars and I would definitely dig into more of her books.

No comments: