Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Review: The House on Mango Street - Sandra Cisneros





Genre: YA Literature

ISBN: 9780679734772

Pages: 128
Format: Trade Paperback

First Published:1984

Rating: 4/5 Stars








I give this a higher rating then I normally would because I am rating in it on my young adult mind. I would have really, truly loved this book when I was younger and although I enjoyed it now I would have appreciated it more so back when. My adult side says 3 but YA me says 4. I like the style writing. It is a bunch of short stories rolled into one and I can totally relate to the author. Esperanza, was different from the beginning and you can hear it and feel it with her words. Artist such as poets, are not in the same mindset as those who are not artists. They see the world differently, even at such a young age you can see Esperanza being of a different world where she was things as beautiful and ugly and just couldn't grasp why things were the way they were. It was a beautiful story but it had it's flaws. I would have liked there to be more to the stories rather than little snippets but I guess that is just the way it is supposed to be and you can please the world!

No comments: