Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Review: A Visit from the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan

Genre: Fiction
ISBN: 9780307477477
Format: Trade Paperback
Pages: 340
Published: June 2010
Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

Okay, there are so many mixed reviews regarding this book and I can totally see why. First it won a Pulitzer Prize and is a National bestseller so many people had high hopes. Second it was simply just a good read, not amazing just good. People I have talked to about this book said they didn't like it and that they didn't like the mixed stories but I liked that about it. All the characters were woven together and time was going back and forth and where many said they couldn't follow it, I sure had no trouble at all.

I can see why it got so much praise and awards because of her style and intelligence but I still feel that there was something missing. I loved how some of the lives were intense and glorious but there were other stories that I just wanted to pass by but I guess that's what makes a good story. I mean, we are reading about peoples lives and how they all come together in one way or another (especially in NY) so to say that some lives are more interesting than others, in an understatement!

I loved the whole rock star, punk age thing and I loved how everything turned out. These were rebel teens who are now parents and have settled into a more suitable life. I don't know how to put it into words but it totally makes sense in my head!

No comments: