Friday, October 16, 2009

Push by Sapphire


OK, this book was very disturbing but yet I could not bring myself to put it down. I read it in one sitting. I wanted so bad to jump in the book and help Precious. I went to school around there (the same school where the author went to) and I know the neighborhood (sorta) I also knew some girls that were in situations like the other girls in Precious' class. I never knew anyone that had to go through things such as she did or at least I was not aware of it. I hated the book but I loved it at the same time.
It is about a young girl would got pregnant by her father twice. First when she was 12 and again when she was 16 and the book goes through her journey of how she feels, what she endured, and who she is becoming. It is sad and there is some truth behind it. Maybe not from the author herself but I have no doubt in my mind that there are girls out there that go through similar situations.
In this past year, the Sundance Film Festival had debuted this novel as a film and I pre-ordered it! Can't wait to see how it comes out. It is a short novel (about 190 pages) and is is jam packed with...well you get it!
Stay tuned for my review on Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. So ar I am loving it!

No comments: