Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Xibalba Murders - Lyn Hamilton


I love Mayan history so I did enjoy this. I have done lots of research and the like when I was an undergrad. I am fascinated by their culture. I only gave this book 3/5 stars because I am not crazy about how Hamilton writes. Things happened so quickly and I had to go back a little just to see how that happened. I did love how she named the chapters by one of the Mayan calenders and how she explained or compared the day and what it meant. I guess the ending maybe because I was somewhat expecting it but who knows?
This book focuses on the main character, Lara, who is of Canadian descent, and how she studies the Mayan Hieroglyphics. Another Historian called upon her and asked her down to Mexico so search for the "rabbit who writes" so now Lara is on this journey to find out what he means because his visits were always cancelled. I wasn't overly excited about this book but I did think it was alright.

No comments: