Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows


Okay, I put this book off for a while and without reason but now that we were to read it for my work book club I picked it up and read it in two days! I loved it. I was very endearing and heartfelt. I gave it 4/5 stars because something was holding me back from giving it a total of 5 and I am not truly sure why. I loved all the characters, especially Isola. She was great! I loved how she just simply spoke her mind and didn't care about anything! She was never afraid. I loved how she came right out and asked questions and in the 1940's it really wasn't common for women to do such things. Which brought me to the only flaw: Since the story was based on a series of letters, it was supposed to be written in the language of the 1940's but I didn't feel that it was. I was guessing that it was made for use to understand better but I just felt that the authors didn't quite grasp it, even though one of them lived through that time (and sadly died in 2008) it just didn't seem right but then again what do I know I was born 35 years later!
All in all I love to read World War II books. Even though it was a horrible time, it still brings to light the truth, the sad truth, but the truth to be told! This book definitely brought both sadness of the events and happiness and I caught myself smiling and also had moments where my heart literally sank in my chest and if you read it I am sure you know which parts exactly.

No comments: