Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky



The book was recommended by many people and it was one of monthly reads for a book club that I am apart of on GR so I thought I would give it a good. I figured it was a light YA read but was shocked when I opened it up. First, I knew it was a banned book so I know it was going to touch many issues but for some reason I was not expecting what I dot but I gotta say that I personally enjoyed it and I probably would let my children read it if they were 15+ I doubt I would let them read it earlier than that. I just think that kids are exposed to drugs, alcohol, sex, homosexuality and the like so I don't think I would try to hide it from my kids nor would I push it on them. I would take it as it comes and deal with situations as they arise.

I always hear people say that they don't mind what their kids read so long as they read and others will say that they don't want their kids to read such filth but I say let them be! I will read what my kids read in hopes that we could converse on it and talk about it and maybe then we could tackle all those issues and I could answer any questions they have.Just look at the banned books. Really? There are so many great books on there! People are just too damn sensitive and should really come to reality!

Anyway, back to the book. I really liked it because it has a poetic feel to it and it just made me feel better. It's like you have to have some serious issues to be a genuine person! I wish that I had at least one teach who I could relate to like that. I loved all the people in the book. Each played their role and they played it well. It really makes sense that it is an MTV book because it fits what MTV does best and that is tell the truth of what really occurs in teenage life.

No comments: