Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Auschwitz Violin - Maria Angels Anglada


Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 109 (ARC)
Format: Paperback / Advanced Uncorrected Proof
ISBN: 9780553807783
Rating: 3.5/5 stars


I received this book from a fellow Goodreader. She won an ARC on the site and since I love stories of WWII and also love the violin (just the sound I don't play) I asked if she would swap with me and she did and even offered another book called Days of Grace by Catherine Hall. Since this fellow GR'er has similar taste as me I have no doubt that I wouldn't love it.


Well, this book is about a women who inherited her uncle/father's violin after he passed away and the story is of how he created this violin during his time in the Auschwitz Camp. It is a touching and lovely story I just wish there was more to it. I wish it was more of a story rather than events. It was wonderfully written and beautifully translated but I just wish there were more of a story. It felt real and maybe it was. I kept thinking that she just told us what happened without an more than that. I was hoping she who elaborate or even exaggerate. Overall, it is a beautiful story and a very fast read and it's s a new story in comparison to others that you may encounter in your WWII reads.

No comments: