Monday, July 26, 2010

Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson


Genre: YA Fiction (?)
Pages: 198
ISBN: 9780142414736
Format: Softcover / Library
Rating: 4/5 Stars


First I would like to say that this book is so painful to read. I kept getting such a lump in my throat. I just kept thinking of how horrible high school can be and what an effect is has on shaping these young adults. I also kept thinking about my own girl. Even though they are only 1 and 2 it still upsets me to think that people can be so hurtful and so blind. I hate this stage in life. It may have been fun at times but teens can be so harsh. They don't know any better and think that they know it all. I went to a not-so-great HS but I survived because i was raised not to sweat the small stuff an I understood that people can be followers and I knew who my true friends were. I hope that I can instill that into my children. I want them to tell me everything that bothers them. I don't expect to get the truth out of them all the time but I at least want to know if someone hurts them.


I heard about this book for quite some time but never even thought about reading it and then of course it was put on the Banned Books list and then I just had to get it. It is also a movie that came out in 2004. The book just hit it's 10 year mark giving me another reason to read it. I just hope that by this book being out that people will not be so naive. I wish that parents weren't so obsessed in their own lives that they forget the most valuable things are at school or at home and should really notice abrupt changes. Don't be blind. Parents shape their children and can make a great impact on their community and should really know what their children are like and so on. I could ramble on forever but I think you should read this just to understand all the thought that circle around my head. I am sure you will see the same things I see and feel what I felt after and during reading this.

No comments: