Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Review: The Magician's Assistant - Ann Patchett


Genre: Fiction
Pages: 357
ISBN: 9780156006219
Rating: 3/5 Stars


Not one of my favorite books but it was readable. I liked how it was a different kind of story and not one that you may have found in many other books. It's about a woman named Sabine who married a gay guy who was a magician and of course she was his assistant as well. They have been doing magic together for well over 20 years and she lived with him, Parisfal, and his boyfriend, Phan. They didn't get married until many years later. It was more for legal purposes because he knew he was going to die. There are many more things going on of course but that's the basics. She finds out after his death that is past was not of what he told her. He had another name and another life years before. Why he lied is beyond me. They give an answer why but it doesn't make much sense to go as far as he did.


Sabine meets his family that she thought were dead and blah blah. There was just a lot of things that could have made it better. There were things that were left unsaid and unanswered and I feel that this book had a lot more potential and that's why I continued to read it but the ending made me angry. Some of it was good but I thought that it was leading up to something bigger. I could ramble on and on about what I wanted to hear and what I got but read it for yourself and then we can chat!

No comments: