Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Review: The Island of the Blue Dolphin - Scott O'Dell


Genre: YA Fiction
ISBN: 0440439884
Pages: 181
Format: Trade Paperback
Rating: 3/5 Stars


I know I may have rated it different if I were reading this and was a fourth grader. I just couldn't really fully enjoy myself. I like the writing and I like the way O'Dell captured Karana and this beautiful island. I could see what he was talking about but most of the time I also felt like I was reading a "how-to" guide. I know now what I would do if I were stuck on an island but I don't even think I would survive as long as she did but I am a city girl and that's where she grew up. Another reason why I didn't love this book was because the story was about her really and I felt no connection to her just the island in itself. Maybe that is what O'Dell had in mind? Or maybe not. I dunno I just rating it as I saw fit.

No comments: