Tuesday, January 24, 2012

First Review of the New Year: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - Aimee Bender

Rating: 3/5 Stars
Pages: 292
Format: Trade Paperback ARC
ISBN: 9780385720960
1st Published: May 2004
Read in: January 2012
Every one's Choice: January 2012
Genre: Fiction

Well, I am trying to catch up on all of my reading since I have seriously fallen behind since my move a few months back. I have said it numerous of times but my commute was cut by 90% and so did my reading.

This book was chosen by one of my Goodreads groups, Every one's Choice, for January 2012 and since my goal is to at least read one book from my online group and one book from my face to face group at work. So one down and here are my thoughts:

It was a nice little book. I really enjoy cooking, even if I am not the best, and I love all my cooking shows so this one touched me a little. It is a sad story and what gave it all it's sadness was pretty much every character. The family is so separated and so hidden that everyone is left behind and there is no real believable love. I can't really explain the sadness in the family but I think you will understand -once you read it. Everyone is so far beyond reach and when they do reach out it seems like at the last possible moment but there still is some beauty in it. Like, I finally get it! I know I kinda ramble but really, this is just a way for me to understand myself and maybe someone can understand me too and get where I am going with this.

All in all, it is a simple book with mysterious people who have great hidden talent and don't understand how it is possible and to what to do with it. The ending was beautiful but I still was stuck at a 3 star rating. Maybe one day I can come back to this and re-rate it and re-evaluate it in my head more clearer.

No comments: